Who are the YIPWEA NSW Committee?
A Committee of young public works engineers representing the young members of IPWEA. They give members a voice and help IPWEA to support its young members.
The Committee report to the IPWEA NSW Board but also work with the other Young IPWEA Committees from the other States and New Zealand to achieve common goals.
Here’s some of the things the Committee is involved in:
- Advocating for more cadets: We’ve been actively promoting the benefits of cadetships within the industry and supporting the Notice of Motion for the recognition of engineers to the NSW Government. We surveyed councils around NSW on their cadetship programs and put together a best practice document.
- Finding solutions to the issues our industry faces: At IPWEA events, we hold open discussions on issues facing our future workforce. It’s great to hear from everybody on these issues.
- Raising the profiles of young engineers: We’re big supporters of our members and actively promote and celebrate the successes of our members.
- Providing role models and engaging with the next generation of engineers through the universities and schools.
- Supporting our members through professional development, networking, access to mentoring and professional peer-to-peer forums to ask questions.
- Promoting diversity
The Young IPWEA NSW Reps are committed to constantly evolving to stay relevant to the needs of their members and of the public works engineering industry.
Young IPWEA NSW Committee:
Young IPWEA NSW Chair - Eric Wong - Blacktown City Council
Central West Region - Jordan Richardson - Narromine Shire Council
Hunter Valley Region - Joshua Bennie - Port Stephens Council
Illawarra Region - Kaitlin Christlo - Wollongong City Council (Deputy Chair)
Metro North Region - Daniel Robinson - Northern Beaches Council
Metro West Region - Eric Wong - Blacktown City Council
Mid North Coast Region - Joshua Roberts - Coffs Harbour City Council
Northern Inland Region - Leonard Maharaj - Walcha Council
North Coast Region - Kelsey Carter - Richmond Valley Council
Orana Region - Chris Godfrey - Dubbo Regional Council
South East Region - James Thompson - Eurobodalla Shire Council
Metro South Region - Todd Clarke - Randwick City Council
South West Region - TBA
The YIPWEA NSW Ambassador
The Young IPWEA NSW Ambassador’s key role is to act as a leader within the Public Works Industry and a role model for future generations who will potentially join the Engineering fraternity. This position is currently vacant so if you think you have what it takes please get in touch with the YIPWEA Committee or email email@example.com
In March 2016 Pocket Sally was created; an innovation of the Young IPWEA NSW Group to spread the word of diversity and opportunities in Engineering. The number of engineers leaving the workforce has far outstripped the number of new entrants, so to engage more with younger engineers and spread the IPWEA NSW message, Pocket Sally was born.
To follow Pocket Sally and learn more about her story go to - www.pocketsally.com or follow her on twitter @sally_ipwea